Dates with extras
The other day there was a story on TV about how dates contain bugs sometimes. Which kind of makes sense I suppose. I eat a lot of organic grown vegetables and yes I do have to wash them and yes I also sometimes find a little snail or beetle in the leaves. Which I then pick up and put outside in the garden (well if they are alive anyway) so the news that dates contain bugs or might contain bugs didn’t particularly scare me.
I do check them a little more carefully though… Haha… Knowing they are in there is one thing but popping them into your mouth is another thing entirely. Anyway, I made this totally delicious orange date balls a while ago and you shouldn’t miss out on making them. They are best with medjool dates but work with regular dates as well. Adding the szechuan peppers was brilliant as it gives them just a hint of peppery goodness although I don’t think szechuan is all that spicy. But they are delicious!
O and yes these are vegan unless you do eat the bugs… Just saying..
Spicy orange date balls with a twist
- Author: Simone
- 200 gr medjool dates
- zest of 1 orange
- 50 gr hazelnuts
- 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- little bit of orange juice (not too much. You don’t want it to get too wet
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder plus extra for rolling
- 50 gr pistachio nuts
- 2 tbsp szechuan peppers (the pretty pink pepper)
- Remove the stones from the medjool dates and place in the foodprocessor. Chop them roughly with the machine than add the other ingredients, except the pistache and the szechuan.
- Mix thoroughly until it becomes a sticky ball.
- Make little sized balls of the mixture
- Chop the pistachio and the szechuan finely and mix it. Roll each ball through the nut-pepper mix and push a little if necessary.
- It will keep for a week outside of the fridge or two weeks in the fridge
Looking for healthy recipes and nutritional info?
Look no further and subscribe to our weekly newsletter!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
Simone is food photographer and food blogger from the Netherlands with a passion for food. She's studying holistic nutrition and eats mostly low carb and high fat. Likes to try out vegan recipes but does eat some sustainable, animal friendly meat. (although still struggles to find eating meat animal friendly )